Sunday, March 2, 2008

DLP audio production finally completed

It has taken a ridiculously long time to complete the audio part of the Dual Language Program production, and the end result runs just over four minutes in length. That is more than a full minute over the conventional standard for audio slide shows on the Internet.

Oh, well.

The chief problem with delay in the process of production isn't procrastination or distraction or any variation on writer's block. It simply comes down to lack of work flow discipline. Disorganization seems to be the greatest detriment to my productivity. I can't get up if I don't have a clear task in mind: This morning I will complete this specific task. A good work flow plan sets up the order of what needs to be done, but something as simple as creating a Post-it note at the close of every work session establishes specifically what needs to be done NEXT.

As for the production process itself, if I can't speed up the editing, then audio slide show projects aren't going to be worth the effort, even if the newspaper does eventually develop an outlet for them on the Internet. I see an occasional fully-faceted gem among the monthly entries in the NPPA Multimedia Contest, and I wonder how many hours of editing time are involved. Something as simple as better equipment and perhaps even better software would speed up the process. I spend hours just repairing the dips and clips rendered in audio recordings made with the little WS-300 series Olympus recorder. Without a means of setting the recording level, there is no way to avoid volume clippings and dropouts created by the recorder's auto leveling. Investment in a decent shotgun mic would be pointless under this circumstance, and I can't invest the $300 it will take to move up to the next level in digital recorders. Until I can significantly reduce the learning curve involved in audio slide show production, the minimal equipment I do have will have to do.

The recording sessions themselves went smoothly with both DLP families. The father of the English-speaking student had a very distinctive, guttural voice, but I decided let it stand on the merits of what he had to say. The father 0f the Spanish-speaking student spoke English well enough that I had no trouble conducting the interview. Even so, I had him reply in Spanish, as well. The idea was to go back and dub in his daughter's voice translating his replies to English. When it came time to arrange for her recording session at the school, I also invited the other English-speaking student, too, and recorded them both introducing themselves and speaking in their non-native language. My daughter suggested that prospective new DLP parents might like to see examples of how well their own child might do with a second language skill by the fourth grade.

All of this stretched the audio content well beyond what was originally intended, but then again, this whole project has taken on a life of its own.

Here is what I've added to the original DLP narration track from January 13: Learning final audio.

No comments: