Sunday, January 13, 2008

For as long as it takes

Rather than start yet another slideshow project, I decided to continue working on the dual language program (DLP) production for as long as it takes for completion. I had already figured out that I didn’t want to pour considerable time and effort into another slideshow production only to have it sit largely unviewed on my humble blog. Each production would need a target website that could carry the slideshow as part of its content. This was an afterthought on the “Chalk” production, but when I offered the slideshow to the Valley Arts Association, sponsor of the chalk art event, they were delighted to have it for their website. I proposed the DLP slideshow project to Minter Bridge Elementary as something that could go on the school’s website to provide a brief introduction for parents who were considering enrolling their children in this program. Finding similar symbiotic relationships for future slideshow productions would lend a good deal more purpose to the hours and hours spent on editing, than mere practice.

The DLP production project quickly outgrew the single kindergarten classroom where it was being introduced at Minter Bridge Elementary. Had I confined it to that, it would have been relatively simple to pick out two kindergartners – one English-speaking and one Spanish-speaking – and develop parallel storylines. However, I thought the subject of DLP needed broader treatment to give the viewer a sense of direction for a program that expected at least a seven-year commitment of its participants. That meant not only covering the kindergarten class at Minter Bridge, but also covering one of the upper classes at the other school where the DLP program had been running for five years. It also meant having to find an appropriate person to interview for the narration to provide the production’s framework, similar to what was done for the production of “Chalk.”

I wound up going to the district office to interview the ‘executive director of school improvement’ – in charge of both the Dual Language Programs and English as a Second Language program. The interview went smoothly and the subsequent editing resulted in a narration track that ran just under two minutes, but it took well over a week to achieve. In the process of shuffling files from desktop computer to laptop and back – trying to edit at every chance I had during a day – files got lost, including the original recording of the interview. Not only the randomness of my work schedule worked against me, but the process of trying to edit audio without a clear step procedure left me disoriented each time I sat down to work. Editing the interview into narration under these terms was a challenge. Trying to edit the several recording sessions at two schools was a disaster.

Creating a specific schedule of work was my first breakthrough. I managed to stay on schedule over the past week – for the most part – although just getting into a productive daily routine was the high achievement for the week. It gave me a sense of progress, however tortoise-like. Five in the morning my alarm goes off. I get up, get dressed, get coffee, read the paper, feed the dogs and then sit down to my laptop by six and work until eight. That’s the schedule. I edit only on the laptop, transfer files to the desktop for backup, and then to the external hard drive for archiving. That’s the flow.

Working up a practical step procedure for editing will be the key to proficiency, and that is evolving. I keep a procedural outline handy, along with a scratch pad to note little efficiencies that come up in an editing session. For instance, I discovered this week:

• that the Mac operating system I use (OS 10.3.9) allows me to select the option “Show Item Info” under View on the Finder Menu, a feature that automatically posts the length of an audio file (all but the Windows files my little recorder produces, of course – these have to be converted to MP3 files). I don’t have to open the file to get this information.

• that the best way to open an MP3 file in Audacity is to first create a new, blank Audacity file and then Import the MP3 file. Actually, I knew this already. I just forgot.

• that the Audacity’s Label Track can have only one label open at any time. If you suddenly can’t add or edit a label to your Label Track, it’s because you have another label still open somewhere in the track. Go back and look for the label with the box around it and close that one before adding or opening another.

So at this point I’ve managed to go back over all the classroom audio in English, cataloging and screening for usable segments that can be worked into the narration track. The week(s) ahead will entail selecting and placing the English segments from both schools. That done, I’ll conscript my bilingual daughter into helping screen the classroom audio in Spanish for segments that can complement the English segments. After that, I can decide whether to include brief interviews with English-speaking and Spanish-speaking parents of upperclass DLP students about their experience over the years, and perhaps even prepare a parallel translation into Spanish (via my daughter) of the finished production for viewing by Spanish-speaking families.

And then I will look for a much, much simpler slideshow project for my next production.

No comments: